Tuesday 24 June 2014

HARRISON AFFUL NOT IN A HASTE TO LEAVE ESPERANCE AFTER WORLD CUP




Ghana defender Harrison Afful says, he is not in a rush to leave current Club Esperance although he confirmed receiving several offers from numerous European clubs.

The Black Stars full back who has been one of the most consistent players since joining the Blood and Gold five seasons ago has reportedly been liked with French outfit Olympique Marseille and Italian side Napoli.

The former Asante Kotoko player who is currently with the Black Stars in Brazil helped Esperance clinch the CAF Champions League when he scored the winning goal in 2011.

The former Fayenoord Academy man has been instrumental for the stars since making his debut in 2008 and has won the Hearts of many Ghanaian football fanatics with his surging runs on the flanks which has eventually attracted interest from many European Clubs.

 The 27-year-old is aiming to play mainstream European football but says he is not in a rush to do so.

 “I’ve had offers, but I didn’t feel they were right for me,” said a smiling and refreshingly humble Afful, speaking to FIFA.com after the Germany game. “I’m happy in Tunis and they’ve always treated me very well, I wouldn’t want to leave just for the sake of trying something new. That said, if an interesting opportunity does come my way, of course I’d consider it,” he added with a glint in his eye.

Afful also went on to talk about the fighting spirit he exhibits on the field and how eager he is to give his best for his country [Ghana].

“It [fighting spirit] is part of me. If I wasn’t like that, I wouldn’t be myself,” said the diminutive dynamo. “Ever since I was very young I’ve been quick and I’ve always liked having the ball, so when I’m near it I have to go looking for it. What’s more, I really love my country and my team-mates, so I’ll never stop giving everything I’ve got to help them.”

Afful who can be deployed in various positions on the field was almost set to join French side Sochaux prior to the start of the 2013/14 season but the deal fell through after both teams failed to reach an agreement.

The versatile player is however expected to feature for the Black Stars in their final group hurdle against Portugal on Thursday as Ghana will be seeking to advance to the knockout stages of the FIFA World Cup after managing just 1 point from two games.






By Frank Darkwah
Follow Frank Darkwah on twitter.@Blaqqkoffi

No comments:

Post a Comment