Saturday 10 May 2014

EXCLUSIVE! ONE-ON-ONE INTERVIEW WITH SAMUEL AFFUL




SPORTS LOUNGE writer Frank Darkwah caught up with Sekondi Hasaacas and Black Satellites striker Samuel Afful who was part of the local Black Stars team at the 2014 CHAN Tournament in South Africa and had a short interview with him. Read what the 19 year old had to say about his career

Tell us about yourself:
Born and bred in Takoradi, the Western Region of Ghana, very humble and like to follow my passion with optimism


Why did you choose football as a career?
I would say football means everything to me. In a nut shell football is my best friend.


How did your football career start?
I started with Hasacas under 12 and later I was promoted to under 14, when Hassacas was relegated in 2010, I was the promoted to the senior team to join them in division one. Thankfully to God we are in the elite division.


What has been your biggest challenge in football so far?
I would say there hasn’t been any major challenge apart from some minor injuries.


How would you rate your current club Hasaacas?
Satisfactory, but more room for improvement. When we returned into the premier league we had some poor result in our first six games. After the head coach was changed our performance has been brilliant under coach Yussif. Most of my colleagues including myself are playing in the elite division for the first time and that accounted for our dismissal performance early season.


What are the chances of Hasaacas, do you think you can make it to the top 4?
Yes I do. Because if I take our current form into consideration, I don’t think we can easily give up the top four berths to any team. Though we have to play Dwarfs, Aduana and Medeama but I hope we can snatch a top 4 finish.


Apart from the under 20 team have you been invited to any of the junior teams?
Yes – I was part of the last under 17 team handled by Paa Kwesi Fabin and “Opeele” Boateng unfortunately I couldn’t make the final squad to the African Junior Tourney.


How was the feeling when you were first invited to the local Black Stars?
I was happy but wasn’t surprised. In the camp, I met some other colleagues who were friends already and I easily got use to the team’s play.


How does a typical day for you look like? Do you like outing?
[Laughs] Always indoors, if am not at training, I try to do my personal training. I can’t even remember the last time I went out – I don’t like outings.


Which international team do you support?
[Smiles] Barcelona


Why do you support them?
I like their style of play and on the field, they look disciplined.


Who is your role model in football?
[Smiles again] J. J. Okocha of Nigeria


Why do you choose him as your role model?
He’s talented, very skillful and makes it very difficult for other players to dispossess him of the ball. He hardly missed opportunities.


What would you like to become if not a footballer and why would you like to become that?
Musician. I think I see traces of a musician in me. [Says it with passion]


What has been your greatest moment in your football career?
When Hasaacas qualified back into the elite division, I think the home game we played with Liberty at Essipon was also great. We won (3-1). I scored twice as a second half substitute.


What has been your saddest moment in football?
When King Faisal beat us 2-0 at the Tema Stadium to deny us a Premier League slot on 31st August, 2012. I wept like a baby and I don’t want to remember.


What has been your biggest achievement in football?
I think I have so many miles to cover, but the CHAN Tournament is the biggest.


Which team in Europe would you like to play for?
Barcelona. As I said I like their style of football


What league in the world would you like to play in?
Spanish La Liga. Their play is very good and I think I can learn from it. Every team likes to keep the ball. I would like to play in the Spanish La Liga.


What do you do before you go into a football game?
I first pray to God then listen to music – when we are left with some few hours I relax and concentrate fully on the game.


What is your favorite dish?
Cornflakes and milk


What are your hobbies?
Reading the Bible and listening to music.


What are your expectations in the next 5 years?
I will like to play for one of the best teams in Europe and also get the opportunity to play more for our Senior National Team (Black Stars)



Ronaldo and Messi?
Messi
Mourinho and Guardiola?
Guardiola
EPL and La Liga?
La Liga

No comments:

Post a Comment