Wednesday 2 July 2014

DEFIANT KWASI APPIAH DENIES REPORTS OF BEING INFLUENCED BY SENIOR PLAYERS




Head Coach of the Black Stars, James Kwasi Appiah has refuted reports indicating that he was being influenced by senior players in the Black Stars team.

Speculation in the media revealed that the Ghanaian tactician who guided the Black Stars to the 2014 FIFA World Cup was being influenced by some of the senior players in the team when making selection for a game which eventually lead to him dropping goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey for Fatau Dawda after Ghana’s first group game with the United States.

Appiah who was initially accused of  being swayed by the Ghana FA in his player selection prior to the World Cup addressing the media in a press conference at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Wednesday revealed that he has never allowed any of his players to manipulate  his selections.

“I can’t believe this. Even the players do complain that is difficult for them to know the one starting a game. I have never allowed any player to influence my selection”, the soft-spoken coach said.

“At the end of the day I’m in charge. I take decision as to who to start or who not to start. If it doesn’t go well is me so there is no way a player can influence me. No one is above the law in my team”.

The 53-year old also went on to explain the reason behind Goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey’s exclusion in the starting IX after the first game. 

“This does not only go to Kwarasey. It goes to all my players. Every coach have a look at his training, how his players perform during all training sections before a match and then decide on whom he thinks should be used at a particular time”, he added. 

“For instead in the case of Kwarasey there is a goalkeeper’s trainer and any decision that I take on goalkeepers I need to consult him and my assistant to make the final decision as to who start a particular game. So it applies to all positions on the pitch”.

Appiah failed to guide the Black Stars into the Knockouts stages of the World Cup for the first time after the teams previous second round and quarter finals berths in 2006 and 2010 respectively.





By Frank Darkwah

No comments:

Post a Comment