Thursday 10 July 2014

GHANA GOALKEEPER FATAU DAUDA REVEALS “CRITICS MADE HIM FOCUSED”




Black Stars goalkeeper Fatau Dauda has revealed the critics under which he went through made him focus in the team.

The 27-year old prior to the World Cup received severe censure by Ghanaian football fans to have lost his form due to lack of playing time at his club Orlando Pirates, under which many called for his omission from the squad.

Dauda whom until Ghana’s participation at the World Cup was the number one choice, lost his place to Adam Kwarasey who had been in superb form at his Norwegian Club Stromgodset.

Although the former Ash Gold shot-stopper missed Ghana’s opening group game against the USA, Dauda was able to regain his position when he kept the post in the team’s final two group games against Germany and Portugal respectively.

In an exclusive interview with Accra-based Happy FM, Dauda indicated that the critics raised on him kept him focus. 

“I heard all those critics but it never distracted me. It rather made me focus and I kept on with my training so that I could prove myself when I get the opportunity to be in the post”, he said.

“God willing I had the opportunity to be in the team. You can never say you are the number one until the coach has named his starting eleven. Because the coach made us understand everyone was equally good”.

The former Okwawu United goalkeeper was quick to indicate his desire to have seen Ghana progress at the Mundial.

“We prepared to achieve something, for me I was hoping we could make it past the quarter finals and go all the way to the finals, if possible to win the trophy but it never happened. God knows best”. 

His tremendous save against Portugal was at a point voted the 5th best save in the competition by FIFA. 

Dauda will however be looking forward to a successful season at Orlando Pirates after his splendid performance at the World Cup. 




By Frank Darkwah

Follow Frank Darkwah on twitter.@Blaqqkoffi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment